Friday 18 February 2011

Breakfast Time



Peanut butter sticks to the roof of my mouth,
we talk about social planning in communities.
You find a safety in your work,
and speak elegantly and articulately
about how vested interests can co-opt the democratic process.
Shifting about uneasily – not least because I don’t really understand
the topic or care much I apply bigger and bigger amounts of
creamy peanut butter to toast in an attempt to distract
you  (I know how you feel about proportion.)
I respond claggy with texture.

I’m wondering if you want to talk about it,
The elephant in the room,
Which arrived two – maybe ten days ago
and sat itself down by the bathroom door.
At first it seemed a bit apologetic trying to keep its
painted feet neatly together under the bulge of it’s belly.
And, in a bashful way, feeling slightly overdressed
for a weekday morning took care with his trunk to tuck in the
colourful fringing of his festive jacket so that it didn’t
splay out onto the floor. 

Yet as the days slip past I think he’s become
resigned to being here.  And a little offended that no one has
even mentioned the fact, or offered him so much as a
carrot or glass of water in welcome.  He is now reclining a lot more
casually on one of the sofas in the living room,
his chipped painted feet hanging off the arm.
The brightly coloured fringing is balding it keeps
getting snagged on things and there are
tell-tale bits of it in the shower, kitchen and even,
a couple of times, the bedrooms –
So perhaps I should just say something because he’s helping
himself to all the biscuits and, I don’t know if you noticed,
he spilled tea all over your clean white sheets.  

No comments:

Post a Comment